Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Dream

Some of the most vivid dreams I remember as a child were the ones when I would be digging in the side of a hill and suddenly I was digging out coins…lots and lots of coins. At the time it probably seemed like a lot of money, nickels and dimes and quarters. The dreams probably grew out of stories of pirates and buried treasure. I also remember reading stories of lost mines full of gold still there for the person to find them.

I don’t believe that I will someday come across a lost gold mine or walking along the beach I will still the corner of chest filled with Spanish doubloons but I think buried deep in my imagination I still think it could happen.

Right now in my life I think searching the thrift store and the occasion
all garage sale or auction is fed by the imagination that I will find a treasure….and too some extent I have. Of course this just feeds the obsession and that of course is the worrisome part…I don’t like being obsessed but I can feel it sometimes drawing me in. It is what keeps me going to Goodwill over my lunch hour several days a week and what made me want to walk the streets of the nearby neighborhood garage sale last Saturday when I had lots of yard work. I didn’t go to the garage sale but I wanted to.

So what treasures have I found that keep me going back. Well there were the five brand new law school text books that I paid 75 cents each for and resold for around $300 on Amazon. There was the CD set of hair cutting instruction that went for over $100 on eBay. I have a lot more books that have sold for less but all for a profit. Of course there are books that haven’t sold yet (or probably won’t ever – I have about 300 of those). I also have a lot of clothing items that haven’t sold on ebay…many of which I just need the time to list. (Ebay takes a lot longer than Amazon).

I also need to get rid of some things…the downside of being an obsessed dreamer is that it tends to reinforce that part of me which is a “hoarder – a person who has a hard time throwing anything out…but maybe that is best saved for another post).
Meanwhile check out my eBay postings…right now I have some things listed that will only reinforce the dream and a few things that are listed (as cheaply as possible and still make money or at least break even…that is reinforcing the dream too I guess.)


http://www.ebay.com/sch/dchs1974/m.html?item=111060073004&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I put a link to my listing above but not sure if it is going to show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment